Friday 12 October 2012

Hi Mite 17

Well, hasn't time flown by! I can't believe that we are already well in to October.

Back in August I started to build a HiMite 17, using my usual Manhattan style construction technique.

I got the circuit almost working but have since put the project on hold. I hope to get the project finished in the not too distant future.

I used crystals supplied by Graham G3MFJ at G-QRP club sales. Graham has just started stocking 18.086 MHz crystals, this now being the preferred frequency for QRP CW on 17m. I followed the schematic for the HiMite 17 devised by Dave Benson, K1SWL. Dave uses inductors in series with the VXO crystal to pull it down a bit as the crystals originally used were cut for 18.096MHz. I also used an inductor so my rig operates at slightly lower than 18.086MHz.

The frequency of the rig can be 'wiggled' by the use of 2 potentiometers to change the RX and TX frequency a little bit.

I seem to have lost my supply of violet LEDs, so I used a pink one instead - isn't it pretty? :-)


This rig is still a work in progress, I do hope to get it on the air soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment